Content Management System (CMS) is used to create and mold the digital content for different purposes. Such a CMS is Joomla, which helps in making the website without asking for much knowledge in respect of technical processes. This eases the web development process and helps the people who don’t come with a technical background. This is easy to use by any person, which is why Harvard, eBay, High Court of Australia, UK Ministry of Defense, etc.; have built their websites whit the help of this type of technology.
The process to make the website via this is not at all difficult, which is why this is preferred most among all the other options. After installing the Joomla, follow the steps mentioned below and make the website of your choice :
Step 1: KNOW THE JOOMLA ADMIN INTERFACE
Understanding the Joomla admin interface is important because this is the place where most of the work will be done. The menu at the top has all the major administrator functions and features. And on the left, the sidebar has all the tools that are required to manage the website.
Here are the 6 major sections of the Admin Interface that one should be aware of and utilize at its best :
1. SYSTEM – This is the entrance of the Global configuration of the website. The changes like the site, system, server, text filters, and permission can be made easily, which will affect the whole website and other aspects related to it. If you like to back then simply click on the back button and you will be redirected to the control panel.
2. USERS – In Joomla 3.4, you can allow multiple users to access one website. Exploit the user option, through which you will be presented with superuser access; this will help you to allow anyone to enter the website. Later the Superuser can add other users and allow them different levels of access.
3. MENU –Through this option, you can create and manage different navigation menu on the website.
4. CONTENT – The name might have given you the idea behind this functionality! With the help of content option, one can create and mold the articles and blogs. This also helps in turning the articles into Featured articles and assists in managing all the other media files.
5. COMPONENTS – This allows you to access the different functional elements of the website like banners, a news feed, etc.;
6. EXTENSIONS – Extensions enhances the website by making it more interesting and efficient. This option provides the different types of templates, plugins, and languages to make the work more attractive.
STEP 2: INSTALLATION OF JOOMLA TEMPLATES
Before commencing the work and process of making the website, one needs to install the Joomla templates. These templates can be easily found in the extension tab. For installing the Joomla templates, kindly take note of the points mentioned below :
1. Click on the extensions.
2. Select the extension manager.
3. Browse the template you want to install.
4. Select and click on the upload option and install the template.
Joomla provides three additional ways to install the templates from the extensions tab.
1. Install from the web – You can directly install a template from the extension tab.
2. Install from the directory – Install the extension in Joomla from the given path directory.
3. Install using a URL – Add the extension by entering the URL.
You can always install the templates from Template Toaster’s template gallery at no cost. User can build the template of their own with the help of Template Toaster website builder. Create the template with the help of Template Toaster website builder without writing a single line of code.
Now to activate the templates, follow the pattern below.
Go to extensions > Template Manager> Template File > Click on “STAR”
Your template will get activated on the website. Check the implementation of the template by visiting your website.
STEP 3: ADD WISHFUL CONTENT
Following the template procedure, content falls next. Once the installation of the template is done, your website is ready to host the content of your choice.
In Joomla 3.4 instead of content, the term article is used.
So the question arises, how are you going to add content to your website?
On the left sidebar of the Joomla control panel, you will have to select Add a new article. After clicking on it, you will have to create desired content with a suitable Headline. Joomla allows you to make the content interesting by giving you the option to add pictures, infographics, etc.;
Once you are done writing and preparing the content, click on “SAVE & CLOSE” option which is available in the menu manager.
STEP 4: CREATION OF MENU
The efforts taken to create the article would go useless if you failed to add the article on the menu. Due to the unavailability of an article on the menu, it will not be able to appear on the website.
Joomla 3.4 gives the user a choice to create their menu or continue with the default menu. For creating your menu, follow the steps below :
Menu manager > Click on “ Add Menu “ > Add title for this menu > Click on “Save & Close“
Once the menu is ready, the user will be able to add the content. To add the content and other aspects in the menu, follow the steps below :
Menu > Select “ New Menu” > Click on “Add New Menu Items”
STEP 5: ADDITION OF MODULE
This is the final step of the process. The module plays an important role in the website; hence, it is necessary to add a module. Creation of Module:
Extensions > Click on “Module Manager” > Manager screen > New Module
When the pop-up page list appears, select the menu.
Give a wishful or suitable name to the module and select the menu.
Once you are done with the above steps, go to the Positions and select the final position from the dropdown menu. That is all. Now your website consists of the menu, module, and the content or article created by you. All the functions mentioned above falls under the Joomla Web Development services and will surely assist any user while creating a website.